Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Bi-Polar Week


Last week was one of incredible highs and incredible lows. Let's start with the highs, shall we?

I got accepted to law school! Plus, they're giving me a scholarship! Fifty percent tuition for all 3 years, as long as I maintain a certain GPA. Woo hoo! I'm so excited and can't wait to get started.

Unfortunately school doesn't start until August. Philosophically, I am against wishing one's life away, even though it's an activity I participate in regularly (I can't wait until Friday etc...). But in this case I feel justified in saying, can it just be August already? I've essentially checked out of my job in my head. I've spent the last few days trying to work out how I can afford to quit my job N-O-W. I mean, I have access to enough money that would get me through the next 4 months, but the responsible thing to do would be to keep working until the very last minute. But... 4 months worth of relaxing and doing a whole lot of nothing sounds so freaking good.

Anyway, not to toot my own horn (toot toot), but I'm pretty dang proud of myself. Getting into law school is an accomplishment all it's own, one I was up until recently, never sure I could accomplish. Again, can it just be August already?

On to the incredible low... Some of you may know from my Facebook page that Earl has been sick for a while now. Back in February, I had to rush him to the emergency vet and it turned out he had a urinary tract blockage not uncommon in male cats. A week in the hospital and 4 thousand dollars later I brought him home.

Bringing Earl home was a challenge in and of itself. Meredith was not happy to have him back. He smelled like the vet as far as she was concerned, there was a lot of hissing and spitting. But after about a week it was like they had never been separated.

Well, it's been 4 weeks since we brought Earl home from the hospital and he hasn't gotten any better. I've had him at the emergency vet and my regular vet several times over the last 4 weeks and nothing has worked. I have become really good at giving a cat a pill. (The secret? Sit on 'em.)

Last Thursday it started to become really clear we were nearing the end of the road. Friday morning I took Earl in to the vet and we decided it was time to let him go. My sweet boy was put to sleep Friday, March 26th.

Meredith and I miss our boy so much. I just can't believe that he's not here with us. When I've had some time and space from the whole thing, I'll put together a post about all the awesome things about Earl. Suffice it to say, I absolutely will miss him to pieces. And he was the coolest cat ever. (Sorry, Meredith, but it's the truth.)

Some days are better than others. Today was not such a good day. I found myself sitting at my desk at work crying. So I came home and took a nap with Meredith.

I was hesitant to sit down and write this post. A.) because it's been so long since I last wrote and B.) because I just didn't know what to say. I guess I was hoping for some catharsis. And I'll just say it again...

I miss my boy.

3 comments:

  1. I wish I had the words to take away your sadness but know they don't exist. Hopefully Meredith can help fill the void sweet Earl left. Just the thought of losing Panther or Maggie is enough to make me sad so I can't fathom what you're going through right now. Losing a pet is always hard but I know Earl was more like a child than a cat. Huge hugs to you!

    CONGRATULATIONS on law school! Getting in is such a huge accomplishment & I know you're going to do brilliant things once you finish. You smart girl, you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Cyndi! I just saw your comment. Thanks for the congrats and the hugs both. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Moo, I just saw this. I am so very sorry. I am sending you a huge hug and hope that it is getting a little bit better. I know how horrible it is to lose a beloved pet.

    P.S. I tried to send an email but it came back undeliverable so I hope you see this.

    ReplyDelete