Friday, January 1, 2010

Happy New Year! Bring on 2010!

Holla! It's 2010!

I spent New Year's Eve with Mearl, no booze, not even champagne. I decided that I didn't want to start the New Year with even a slight hangover. Had I opened a bottle of champagne I would have been compelled to drink the whole thing and hello, hangover. So, I was in bed by 10 pm. Such is the fabulous life I lead.

Among the fabulous, fun things I did last night was to make a list of New Year's Resolutions. I don't usually subscribe to the notion of New Year's Resolutions, but this year, I decided that I'd set some goals for myself and do all that I can to achieve them.

The theme for the year is health; fiscal, physical, mental, and spiritual.

1. Create a budget and stick to it.
This one is going to be a little bit difficult. I'm not necessarily a spendthrift, but I also don't tend to deny myself much. Hence the embarrassingly high balance on my Visa card. But this year I intend to keep to my budget. No more impulse purchases on iTunes.

2. Workout more consistently.
I actually created a pretty set schedule for myself to follow for this one, but I won't bore you all with it. Suffice it to say, my goal is to workout 6 days a week. But, knowing myself, I'm giving myself some wiggle room here. Six days is the goal, but if I can make it 4 days a week, I will consider it a success.

I plan on keeping track, with photos and weight charts. Haven't decided if I will share those here yet. Might be too embarrassing.

3. Wash face and floss teeth nightly.
OK, this makes me sound gross. But I'm not always the best about washing my face or flossing my teeth nightly. I always take off my makeup and brush my teeth, but cleansing and flossing, not so much. I'm lucky if I floss every other night. So, anyway, I plan to do this each and every day. Wish me luck.

4. Study for the LSAT.
This one is actually pretty easy. I've already started studying. A lot is riding on this test and the higher the score I get, the better my chances of getting a scholarship, which means less debt when I graduate.

I'm a little bit overwhelmed with all of the studying. Some of the stuff on this test is kind of ridiculous. I'm hoping that all of this studying will pay off with a good score and lots of free moolah.

5. Pray nightly. Give thanks.
As I've said before, I've never been much of a pray-er. I've begun to do this recently, and it's certainly helped. Mostly to remind me that I have much to be thankful for.

6. Stop being so hard on myself.
I tend to beat myself up about stuff. I'm going to make an effort to be kinder to myself. I once had someone point out to me that we often say things to ourselves that we wouldn't say to our friends. Shouldn't we treat ourselves at least as well as we treat our friends?

7. Live by the mantra "Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
I think I might hang this on my bathroom mirror. It's a good mantra to live by and one that I think will come back in enhanced karma.

So, there you go, internet. My New Year's Resolutions. Happy New Year to all of you! Here's to a healthy, happy New Year for everyone. We all deserve it.

XOXO

2 comments:

  1. Happy New Year! Love your list of resolutions/goals. I'll have a list in the next day or two on the blog myself. I don't normally take the time to write them down but decided I'll do a better job of accomplishing them if I actually make note of them somewhere other than in my mind.

    If it makes you feel any better I spent the evening with Panther & Maggie since Lee was at work. Gotta admit, they made a pretty good date since they're such good cuddlers :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, Meredith and Earl were good dates until they woke me up a little bit too early this morning!

    Happy New Year! Can't wait to read your resolutions too. : )

    ReplyDelete